Thursday, September 13, 2007

Seven Seven...Dirty Seven!


I am good with words and not numbers, well thats how I like to think. But my report cards always told me and especially my dad that I have a thing with numbers!
Now what??? Numerology or Algebra? Well, none of that. I realized I remember things and also numbers, wow! Its about the cruise on the Nile and our group of Seven: three couples, who adopted me on board 'Nile-Ritz' and I.

Who are these couples? They looked like retired couples on holiday when I was assigned a huge table, all to myself right next to them. And little later I knew their food preference as they were not able to fill their plates with Egyptian delicacies. I was observing them, well, not that I was smitten by any one those three men but I was a vegeterian myself that time. (What?? travelling in Egypt and vegeterian! Yes... ) I guess the manager on the deck was also as observant as me and decided to join both the tables, obviously after getting a nod from both the sides. And we became SEVEN and we had ONE common thing between us: greens...go greens...ooops, yikes!

And for those 4N-5D it never occured to me I started the trip alone. We talked, joked, ate, drank, danced, played (I still remember those games of table tennis, hope they got back those ping-pongs I sent all over!), and again played (this one is for those games of cards and Tambola or shall I say 'Bingo') and had a blast.

The list of common things increased as we mingled, which included two languages, one vacation a year and then a common civilization (the Indian Sub-continent). Thus started our story.

Anyway, coming back to numbers: how Dirty Seven came into being...read on...

If you have ever heard Sudanese/Egyptian accented English then you would comprehend this one better: but I give it a shot with my words! In this part of the world (or shall I say people from here) 'T' is spoken with a slight dip in 'Z' and thus all words starting with a 't' like 'the' etc would sound like 'zte'. We had a winner in our group in everything, be it the Bingo game; or belly dancing or fancy dress competition.
It was that game of Bingo again: it was when we needed a 37 to complete the row and win a 'pyramid' and we were not able to locate a 'zirty seven' on our bingo coupons! And then one among us said 'Bingo' and prompty went for the prize and then another started to shout "Dirty Seven- Dirty Seven' and our group got a name. And we were christened as 'Dirty Seven' ever since. Long live SEVEN- SEVEN- D-I-R-T-Y-S-E-V-E-N!!

So, where is Dirty-Seven heading in 07? Well, where else but to one of those SEVEN wonders (have you checked the new list, its still there, no??)! Seven...oops see you there!

2 comments:

My World Views said...

Nice posting. After a long time, its refreshing matter and thank you I learnt a few tips on how to pronounce 't' with a slightest dip.

Solna said...

Ummm...Are you trying to tell me something? Do I get some hint there; do I hear it corectly?? Dude, I hear you! Thanks!