Monday, September 10, 2007

Mirage or Marriage


We just had a school reunion, and we relived our past drenched in nostalgia, laced in an overdose of double meaning vocabulary (some learnt for the first time that I could utter them and I for sure was surprised more than once and asked myself ‘how come its me all the time that my innocent words are sounding so...ummm.. sexy?!’).

Now coming back to the course of interaction, I guess it went on following a set pattern: people start gathering, people talk, and people exchange numbers and then people disperse. And what people talk? Well, definitely about others lives and the most personal the better!!! Someone starts counting the number of singles in the group on the lines of a cricket coach recounting fall of wickets! Somebody would simply turn into an agony aunt or uncle (depending upon gender) to solicit marriage, giving their voluntary services to the most unwilling customers…err.. friends. I silently say a prayer for all the singles in the group before the assault starts.

Well, marriage is a personal choice and decision; some marries early and some late and then there is a whole drama called finding the right chap..err match, even if you find one you have to make sure whether that would stay or stray and overall that bloody decision making process makes you feel like a dog (it reminds me I have to get rid of those dog biscuits myself…what a joke!) and more so if you are a representative of fairer sex even with right amount of education and moolah and sans those cellulites. I am sure in this insecure time as ours even a single man must be seeing stars in the day when it comes to arriving at a decision even if he knows he is not getting younger by the day.
Well, so, you all self-certified agony aunt/uncles, do you get the right picture now??? And most importantly, if marriage is the panacea for all those ‘imaginary’ ills then who would not want to bow for the holy vow? I am sure even though single-hood is smart, single-hood is envied and sought after but with our cultural norms (self imposed or socially imposed) it’s what we all would normally want (oooo, when someone wants to become a zen guru or a nun, please forgive me!).

But then a reunion is a reunion and for that matter a meeting is a meeting and why we have to follow a set pattern (oh so boring stereotype) as if social behavior is programmed. Well, they are actually programmed by our culture but are we not sounding as if we lost our heads and forgot to talk about other things under the sun??? What about rainbows (it rained this afternoon, may be we missed that pattern on the sky!!!)??
And at the end of the day when I am reminiscing about what all we talked, my bloated stomach reminded me..oops…we forgot to discuss what all we ate….burp… drank, did not we??? And in my head I hear a song ..It happens only in India…(do you remember the lyrics by any chance and can you sing along with me??)

2 comments:

My World Views said...

So true! We missed the pattern of living…rather it turn to patchwork with colors strayed. (he he!) Hmm…!!! Make a living as a single is tough a job when you grow ‘old’ and it always been core to any conversation when singles meet single or single meet the nice-made couple. Dealing the topic is tricky but inevitable. Anyways, good post…atleast you could bitch also that’s new revelation :)

Thanks for the reunion, anyways.

Solna said...

Hmmm, its 'sexy, bitchy, naughty me'..well thats what Tata Young sang, not me!!