Saturday, September 8, 2007

O’daddy!




Sending children to schools and that too to the ones you want, could be the most challenging task for any parent if you are from the city I come from and from the time I am living in. But someone had a lucky trip down there! It’s my dad and I guess he must have been the luckiest dad in terms of being able to send his daughter (and his son) to the schools he wanted in different cities and when he wanted with his untimely transfers.

The first one, an all girl’s school in the heart of a city in ‘city of joy’, had fascinated him when he as an NCC cadet set his feet in that huge stadium overlooking a school and he dreamt of sending his daughter to that ‘lake side – park side’ school one day. And the great Lord had granted him the wish, first with a daughter and then with a posting in that city when the daughter was just at the right age to go to school! It gives me a good feeling whenever I am reminded about this story… (You know, I love all that sentiments and things like that). But the ‘naughty-me’ is not satiated and intrigued about the source of his fascination since my mom came from a different city altogether and hence studied in a different school!!!! But the daddy’s girl in me says shouting…'don’t you know about his fixation with percentages and report cards????'. Oh yeah, good academic records, of course….



The second school from my daddy’s list is in the heart of the capital city with a name of a hill which is synonymous with the hot seat in the greatest democracy (oops….I am almost sounding like a quiz master and hey, don’t you scratch your head…its Raisina). He had heard about it during his innumerable visits to the capital city and wished his children (this time my brother had joined the team) to go to this school if he ever gets posted in the capital. His wishes were granted again when he got transferred to the capital in the middle of a year (to make the situation tough for us!). We both, brother and sister, had to sit for admission tests in an unlikely time to get admission (in the middle of an academic session as we were switching from different states and also different boards) and lo, and behold…the school had just one seat in each class we were to get in. And his wishes were granted again. Touch wood!

What do you say…is not my dad LUCKY?!

No comments: