Sunday, August 31, 2008

(W)rite THE Passage


This weekend was supposed to be super-hectic because: (1) my out-of-town brother's visit was due, (2) I had planned an outing with a friend over a movie - my house guest has left, so its time to shower attention to others (I better should do this as I am meeting him for the first time after my return home; we are neighbors across the street; can you imagine how my social life has been ever since I have returned?!), (3) catch up with some others to set everything write..err right. So quite a chock-a-block of a weekend...ummm.


And it indeed was a super-duper hectic weekend and I enjoyed to a hilt. Bro is super cool as ever (he is looking damn sexy, FYI); Movie rocked; outings were super nice. And I realized how more hectic it could get.


There was a discussion over some nice tea (I am a tea-addict) about some articles I just read (it was a travelogue and about a city I just visited and it almost felt he published it before me, ouch!) and our conversation invariably shifted on writing and such things and there came a shocker.


Why do not you write? Whoa?


Well, I have heard this before and I have been toying with such ideas. But writing professionally?


Does not your profession need you to write?


Well, thats different. I write and I love to write, on the job on technical matters; I love to write to unwind and mostly end up writing never-ending (read: LONG) e-mails/e-notes; I love to describe things vividly, may be its part of my training as an Anthropologist or this is a gift of being born in a family ( my mum is/was into literature and my granny was a prolific writer and a gifted poet; its a pity she never published). Well...well...I still do not see myself cut out as a writer. I might write as a hobby or for some kicks.


It reminds me how I have failed others expectations in the past: my supervisor commented reading my thesis that we were not attempting something in English literature and that all my passionate 'write-up' should find another place for its expression (well, if you read it you will notice my touch here-n-there oozing out from somewhere in the middle of those theorizing!). At the end of it he did press me for a book (in my style definitely) on my thesis and its still 'going on' despite a lot of encouraging-inspiring anecdotes. And so far I have not really completed it. Till this moment it will count as: I failed his expectation.

Then, my very nice boss (you know who I am talking about..ummm) had a similar idea looking at how I handle writing reports and churning up e-notes that I might do justice for a nice piece on the project we put our hearts on. Well, its still in the back-burner (read: its the least accessed folder on my comp). So, you know I have one more on the list of failed expectations.

And this is the latest: my very beautiful boss (this one is a female, at last; looks like I always praise men a lot!) was (or still is) sore with me for not completing what is again a write-up!

So, do you still think I can do justice?

And you wanted me to jot down my notes from all the places I had been over those ten weeks, five time zones and three countries? And you want me to write a series for a big name? And you are offering me what is sounding like a 'job'? And that I have good sense of photography (!)

Such a pot loaded with talent: Someone should hire me, soon....

Ouch...I have no clue what to say. And how to respond.

As far as I know: I am at my best creatively when I am not pressed for; when I am not hard pressed with a deadline. And when I am on my own and when the mood is just (w)right!

Umm...you never know I might be one ONE day..Amen! What do you say?


P.S: I am wanting to know your response, have you voted yet?

No comments: