Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Colors in my ribbons…

Colors make my life lively and I am fond of colors, which are bright, which are happy, and I feel colorful being with colors. I play with different colors on my canvas, I like to have different colors on my clothes and on my window drapes and my surrounding. Flowers in my vases wear happy colors, lilies in my garden smile in different colors and so are those along the pathway to work. Candles I lit in the evenings shine in colors, pens at my desk write in different hues and the ribbons….

In our awareness-maniac times ribbons or for that matter differently colored ribbons give different messages. Wondering how we had moved from colors signifying emotions to colors indicating illnesses or health conditions or social causes. And I see a long COLORful list:

Red ribbon: AIDS awareness
Pink ribbon: Breast cancer awareness
Yellow ribbon: Yellow ribbon symbolizes Suicide awareness and prevention and also endometriosis awareness (and finding cure for them).
White ribbon: White ribbon often signifies feminism and one of the most notable usages of the white ribbon in recent times is as the symbol of violence against women, safe motherhood, and other related causes.
Blue ribbon: This is the color of ocean, sea and hence any water bodies and used to signify Prostate cancer awareness (sky blue).
Jade ribbon: This colored ribbon spreads information about hepatitis B and liver cancer.
Orange ribbon: This is for animal protection awareness
Grey ribbon: Denotes diabetes awareness
Green ribbon: Signifies organ transplant and donation awareness
Teal ribbon: This is for ovarian cancer and polycystic ovarian syndrome
And the list goes on…and one last color from the remaining for my blog:

Black ribbon: It is worn or displayed as a political statement.

And then I hear a suggestion at a luncheon on colors I should wear more often. See, do I have a choice there? Yes, I like the color RED, more deep the better for its passion, for red roses, red wines, and those red dresses!

Gimme, RED!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very informative post..thanks for sharing these solna..


cheers
suds

homer said...

This is a good post. If this is a photo that you took, all the more credit to you.

Solna said...

No, this photo is from internet, its not mine.